The Village of Berkeley is committed to assisting businesses through the successful completion of the liquor license process. Obtaining a liquor license is a comprehensive process that involves both community input and facilities inspections. All liquor license requests are handled by the Village Liquor Commissioner who is also the Village President.
New Applicants (May take up to 12 weeks to complete)
The Village’s liquor license ordinance provides that there are no available liquor licenses at any given time. Therefore, all new applicants must formally request that the Village Board create an additional license at the time of application.
- Meet with Village Administrator to discuss and define type of liquor license needed.
- Submit a complete application. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please include applicable payment(s), insurance, and alcohol sale and service training certificates.
- Submit cover letter requesting license along with a business plan/concept.
- Village Board review (4-6 weeks).
- Background investigation (4-6 weeks).
Renewal Applicants (Application is due to the office 60 days before the current license expires)
- Submit a complete renewal application. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please include applicable payment(s), insurance, and alcohol sale and service training certificates.
Please note: each manager and employee who will be engaged in selling, mixing, preparing, serving or delivering alcoholic liquor to customers must, within ten (10) days after beginning employment must be BASSET (Beverage Alcohol Servers/Sellers Education Training).
Please contact the Village Administrator for more information regarding the liquor license process at 708-234-2619.